Sunday, March 04, 2007

Monsoon Mudslide

Wasn't really feeling the club pattern that came with the STR Monsoon. Interesting looking and some cool ideas but I didn't think it would work well on my feet and, well, frankly, I'm not a huge fan of neverending ribbing on socks, no matter how nice it looks. Just takes too long and I like to be able to knit quickly on socks.

So, I went with Lava Flow from Sockbug. Threw on Lucy Neatby's garter stitch short row heel. I thought the slip-stitch pattern sort of blurred things up a bit, as if you were looking at a forest through windows coated in rain. Ok...too existential for socks, but you know what I mean...

Anyhow, started it last night and finished the first today. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't have picked this yarn out in a crowd but I actually really like it...very different than my usual color choices. Falls somewhere between camouflage and moss growing on rocks. Very organic.

3 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Blogger The Farmer's Wife Pasture-raised Poultry said...

Nice! Does your yarn have purple in it or does it just photo that way like in the pattern?

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Phoebe said...

I agree. I never would have picked this colorway, but it is lovely and it feels wonderful. I think I'll try the Blue Moon pattern only because I've never done a toes-up sock and I don't mind the cables.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger The Farmer's Wife Pasture-raised Poultry said...

rxrvi
I'm a bit bummed...the camouflage look of this yarn turns me off completely, but I love the socks in the pattern picture. I tore into my skein looking for the purple and found NONE, not one little bit. Does yours have purple in it or is it just the photograph? I would actually consider adding the purple in but that does seem a bit sacrilegious. Not to mention I would have to order the dye and wait on it. I could just do these for my DH, but at size 14 no way is there enough yarn and I don't think there is more available. Yikes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home