Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Oh so Giddy

Who'da thunk a pair of plain stockinette socks would end up being so much trouble?

Apparently this yarn had other ideas of what it wanted to be, because it resisted being knit into plain socks wholeheartedly.

Cider Moon Glacier is a lovely 100% merino sportweight...but the skeins are a little skimpy at 253 yards. I didn't think this was going to be a huge problem because of being able to knit them on US3s. I finished a sock...see happy finished sock:

2/3 of the way through the second sock, I ran out of yarn (seems to be my current theme, considering the Buffalo fiasco). Since getting more yarn wasn't an option (sold out and any new batch with this color, should it appear in the near future at all, wouldn't match), I had to do major surgery to be able to do the last 3" of the foot of the second sock. I cut off both completed ribbed cuffs about an inch into the stockinette leg, finished the foot of the second sock, then reknit shorter cuffs.

Oy vey. I love this yarn, but I'm hesitant to order more since, despite my tendency to like shorter legs, these are barely longer than anklets...and buying 2 skeins just makes it too pricey to justify. Maybe for gift socks for folks with smaller feet...

4 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger Emma said...

They do look gorgeous, despite all the problems with them. I love those colors!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Amie said...

But it's pretty impressive how well the colors match up after surgery!

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Joni said...

Great save, on the socks. :) I always do my socks toe-up now, when I'm working with one 100g skein of sport or worsted weight. I end up being pleasantly surprised by how tall I can make the socks before I run out of yarn. I've been making them ribbed so I can use a smaller stitch count, and it frees up enough yardage to make the socks tall enough that they don't feel skimpy at all.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

They are gorgeous though!
That kinda sucks about the yardage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home